CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - Salt and pepper. Needle and thread. Peanut butter and jelly. Pen and paper. Some things just go together like trench coat and Carl Monday. The infamous trench coat is synonymous with the Cleveland 19 chief investigator and now it could be yours.
Monday's coat, and other items from Cleveland 19, will be up for grabs at the WVIZ/PBS live television auction to support nonprofit public television in northeast Ohio from April 20-23.
WVIZ/PBS is celebrating 50 years of popular programs like Masterpiece, Antiques Roadshow, NOVA and PBS NewsHour, as well as educational children's shows like Sesame Street, Curious George and Arthur.
I've probably owned, and worn on the air, seven or eight different trench coats since I hit the air on Cleveland TV 38 years ago," Monday said. "I had a grey one, a beige one, and even a brown one. Most were olive or khaki color."
The London Fog trench coat being auctioned was one worn by Monday in the field.
"The trench coat to me feels like an old pair of jeans. I feel comfortable in it," Monday said. "And on many a day ... it also keeps me dry!"
After The Daily Show did a parody of one of Monday's more controversial stories, the trench coat and his mustache got international attention.
A minor league baseball team in Florida staged a Carl Monday night where anyone dressed in a trench coat and mustache got in free.
"The Plain Dealer at the time did a front page story and called it an 'internet sensation.' A group from Chicago sent me photos of their Carl Monday Halloween party, where yes, everyone dressed in a trench coat and mustache," he said.
In the beginning, Monday said it was just part of the uniform of every television investigative reporter.
"I ran into Mike Wallace of 60 Minutes at an airport years ago," Monday said. "Yep, he had his on."
Years of being satirized turned the coat into his famous image -- which will go to the highest bidder April 20-23.
Here are more auction items from Cleveland 19:
- Studio tour and breakfast courtesy of Juji’s with the Cleveland 19 Morning News Team; Auction winner receives a behind-the-scenes look at the morning newscast from 7 to 8 a.m. followed by breakfast with the team courtesy of Juji’s Café.
- Golf at Avon Oaks with the Cleveland 19 weather team; Auction winner receives 18-holes of golf for two courtesy of Avon Oaks Country Club the round of golf will be played with Meteorologists Jason Nicholas and Jeff Tanchak. Prize includes cart and greens fees.
- Lunch with Hall of Fame Reporter Paul Orlousky.
- A trench coat from legendary Cleveland 19 investigative reporter Carl Monday.
- Autographed football from Cleveland Browns Legend and Tailgate 19 co-host Bernie Kosar.
Here is the Cleveland 19 schedule:
- 3 to 5 p.m.: The Cleveland 19 Morning News team (Tia Ewing, Brian Duffy, Samantha Roberts, and Jamie Sullivan will help to kick-off the auction, escorted by the WVIZ “zebra.")
- 6 to 7 p.m.: Carl Monday
- 7 to 8 p.m.: Chris Tanaka
- 8 to 10 p.m.: Paul Orlousky