AKRON, OH (WOIO) - Akron police detectives are investigating several instances of vehicle arson that have occurred in the Kenmore Community in the past two weeks.
Some of the cars were stolen and then set on fire, others were set on fire in the driveway while their owners slept inside of their homes.
Jackie Liming woke up early Wednesday morning to a stranger beating on her window. She ran outside with her son and dog to see flames eating away at her Jeep.
"So if the guy driving down hadn't seen it, me and my son probably wouldn't be here today," Liming said.
Her family is stranded without their vehicle.
"My heart's broken that they destroyed the only thing we had. I'm a single mom, this was our life, we don't have anything," Liming said.
Just a block away, Larry Hastings walked out to his car to go to work around 5 a.m. and found his wife Terri's van on fire.
"It was just pretty much glowing," Terri Hastings said.
They know it could've been a lot worse if Larry hadn't been headed to work early in the morning and noticed the fire. He grabbed a garden hose to start fighting the fire.
They say it won't be easy to come back from this.
"It's caused a real hardship for us. We both work full-time, work very hard and don't just have extra money to pour into vehicles," Terri Hastings said.
She says she's going to install more lights around her house and maybe security cameras too.
The incidents are listed below:
- 2301 Romig Road, 1997 Jeep Cherokee, stolen from Springfield Township, 4/15/2017
- 2274 10th Street SW, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, burned in the driveway, 4/15/2107
- 940 West Wilbeth Road, 2012 Hyundai Genesis, taken from Jason Avenue in Akron, 4/15/2017
- 240 Diamond Drive, 1998 Jeep Cherokee, stolen from Barberton, 4/18/2017
- 1409 Swinehart Avenue, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, burned in the driveway, 4/26/2017
- 1389 Fawler Avenue, 2005 Chevy Uplander, burned in the driveway, 4/26/2017
- Leeser Avenue/Samuel Avenue, unknown pickup truck, unknown if it is stolen, 4/26/2017
- 1700 block of Brown Street, 2003 Chevy Trailblazer, 4/27/2017
There are currently no suspect descriptions available.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Akron police.