Gareon Conley before NFL Draft: Nobody's going to take this from - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

Gareon Conley before NFL Draft: Nobody's going to take this from me

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

In an Instagram post, Gareon Conley said after a workout that "Nobody gon take this from me. (sic)" Conley, who has not been charged with a crime, released a statement about the Cleveland police report that alleges he raped a 23-year-old woman at the Westin Hotel April 9. 

A post shared by Gareon Conley (@_gconley8) on

Conley said he would not attend the NFL Draft Thursday. 

"I was excited about participating in Thursday's Draft but I have decided that it would be selfish for me to stay and be a distraction to the NFL, the other players, and their families who have worked just as hard as me to enjoy the experience so I will not be in attendance," the statement said

Conley is expected to be taken in the first round of Thursday's NFL Draft.

Conley's attorney, Kevin Spellacy, previously said the accusations are "ludicrous and ridiculous."

"In my opinion this young lady is an opportunist and it's actually despicable," said Spellacy.

An attorney representing the woman accusing a top NFL prospect of raping her at a downtown Cleveland hotel says his client had no idea who the player was and had never met him before.

Attorney Joe Ritzler said his client isn't doing well at all.

"This type of crime is the worst type of crime," he said. "They can be perpetrated on any woman out there."

He says his client, who Cleveland 19 is not naming because she’s a possible sex assault victim, was downtown for a going away party.

The police report says she met a man in the hotel elevator and went back to his room. The police report uses Conley's name several times, but not because the victim identified him.

Conley is a former Ohio State football player, though Ritzler said his client had no idea who he was or that he was an athlete about to be drafted into the NFL.

“She did not know who this individual was, had never met this individual before,” Ritzler said.

Conley's attorney says he has three witnesses, who are friends of Conley, that say he never touched her. But Ritzler said the young woman is sticking to her claim that she was assaulted.

“My client absolutely stands by the fact that on the evening in question she was sexually assaulted,” the attorney said.

Download the Cleveland 19 News app and First Alert Weather app.

Copyright 2017 WOIO. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly