CANTON, OH (WOIO) - A Stark County woman accused of killing her daughter will undergo a psychological evaluation to see if she is fit to stand trial, according to court records.
A judge signed the examination order June 7 for MingMing Chen to be evaluated by Dr. James Karpawich PH.D.
The examination will determine whether Chen can be tried for the beating death earlier this year of 5-year-old Ashley Zhao.
MingMing Chen is charged her with murder. Ashley's father, Liang Zhao, is charged with complicity to commit murder.
Authorities said Chen struck Ashley several times in the head with her right fist.
Chen and Zhao also have a 6-year-old daughter who remains in protective custody with Stark County Children and Family Services.
Chen and Zhao remain jailed on $5 million bond. Both will go on trial Sept. 11. They face life in prison if convicted.
- Timeline of events during the search for Ashley Zhao
- Vigil planned for 5-year-old found dead inside family restaurant
- Mom charged with murder not a U.S. citizen; Victim's sister in protective custody
- Bond set at $5 million for mother, father accused of killing 5-year-old
- 'I can't find my daughter' father told 911 dispatcher before girl found dead in restaurant
- ICE seeks custody of women accused of killing her 5-year-old daughter