LUCASVILLE, OH (WOIO) - Ronald Phillips was executed by lethal injection without complications on Wednesday morning; Ohio's first execution attempt since 2014.
Phillips was convicted of raping and murdering his girlfriend's 3-year-old daughter Sheila Marie Evans in 1993. After more than 20 years on death row since his conviction and several delay attempt by Phillips, the U.S. Supreme Court granted approval for the execution process to continue.
A limited amount of witnesses were present for the actual execution. According to reporters:
- 10:10 a.m. - The media entered the execution viewing room.
- 10:12-10:13 a.m. - Evans' family members entered the viewing room and took their seats.
- 10:15 a.m. - Tissues were distributed to the victim's family, as some relatives started showing emotions.
- 10:16 a.m. - Phillips' brother, his attorney, and his spiritual advisers entered the room.
- 10:17 a.m. - All witnesses were in place and seated.
- 10:20 a.m. - Phillips was escorted into the lethal injection chamber. At this time, he appeared emotionless and wore a white shirt and blue pants with an orange stripe down the side.
- 10:21 a.m. - The curtain separating the lethal injection chamber and the viewing area closed. Lights in the chamber went on. Phillips was still seen by witnesses via a downward facing camera in the chamber.
- 10:23 a.m. - Masked physicians began swabbing Phillips' arms and preparing him for the injection. His eyes were closed at this time.
- 10:24 a.m. - Phillips opened his eyes and spoke to the physicians. He appeared calm while doing so.
- 10:25 a.m. - Phillips closed his eyes again.
- 10:27 a.m. - Phillips sat up while physicians adjusted the straps that secured his arms. Witnesses said he appeared scared and nervous at this time. Tears were also seen coming from his eyes.
- 10:28 a.m. - The physicians successfully inserted lethal injection intravenous tubes into both of his arms. The lights in the chamber dimmed.
- 10:29 a.m. - He appeared to give a "thumbs up" to his family. He started to read his final statement to the witnesses. He appeared shaky, emotional, and remorseful at this time.
- 10:31 a.m. - Witnesses believe the chemicals started flowing into Phillips' veins at this time. He appeared to be praying.
- 10:32 a.m. - Phillips appeared to be sleeping. He was breathing heavy and a tear was coming from one of his eyes.
- 10:33 a.m. - Medical staff checked on Phillip's vitals.
- 10:34 a.m. - Phillips' breathing shortened and he appeared motionless.
- 10:38 a.m. - The witnesses became more emotional.
- 10:41 a.m. - Medical staff checked on Phillips' vitals again.
- 10:43 a.m. - The curtain was pulled back again. Ronald Phillips was officially pronounced deceased.
According to witness statements, it took approximately 12 minutes from the time the injection started to the time Phillips was pronounced dead.