WOOSTER, OH (WOIO) - Ku Klux Klan posters and fliers were recently plastered and distributed around Wooster and surrounding cities, and in response, residents are mobilizing a nonpartisan rally to combat the hate propaganda.
The "Community Rally," to be held in Wooster Public Square from 6 to 8 p.m. this Sunday, is intended to express the community's wide commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Speakers will include:
- Rev. Alex Serna-Wallander, Chaplain at The College of Wooster
- John Clay, President of the Wayne/Holmes NAACP
- Doug Deeken, Chair of the Wayne County Republican Party
- Betsy Sheets, Chair of the Wayne County Democratic Party
- Dr. Sarah Bolton, President of the College of Wooster
- Rev. Jacob Dotson, Pastor of Wooster Mennonite Church
Attendees are encouraged to bring nonpolitical signs expressing encouragement and solidarity to the community.
There will be a welcoming police presence, who have requested that attendees not march through the square.
A similar rally will be held in Millersburg on August 27 from 2 to 4 p.m.
For more information, visit the Community Rally Facebook page.