CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - Roasting in the oven is one of the most popular ways to cook a holiday turkey.
The method is simple and convenient. Hopefully with these simple steps, you can master the perfect turkey roast.
- Thaw the turkey out by using the cold water method or by placing it in the refrigerator. Typically, one day in the fridge is needed for every four pounds.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees before you begin prepping the turkey.
- Remove the neck and drain the juices from the turkey.
- Stuff, or dress, (Stuffing or dressing DEBATE) the neck.
- Tuck the turkey legs and stabilize.
- Place the turkey in a pan.
- Season the turkey with oil, salt, pepper, or spices.
- Cook the turkey to about two-thirds done.
- Remove the turkey from the oven.
- Tent the turkey with foil for the remainder of the roast to prevent drying.
- Continue roasting.
- Cook until the turkey is done. Cooking times may vary. Visit Butterball for suggested turkey times.
- Check the temperatures. The stuffing should reach 165 degrees, the turkey thigh should reach 180 degrees, and the turkey breast should reach 170 degrees.