CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - CLEVELAND, OH -- One of Northeast Ohio's premiere sporting events, the 41st Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon, is returning to live television. WOIO Channel 19 and WUAB Channel 43 are partnering with Cleveland Marathon, Inc. to broadcast the race weekend events of Sunday, May 20, which include the signature marathon race, as well as the half-marathon and 10k.
Developing story: There is controversy surrounding the first place men's winner of the Cleveland Marathon. Executive Director Jack Staph says the agent for the second place finisher. Philemon Terer, is alleging the winner, Daniel Mesfun, violated rules by taking his shirt off and not having his number displayed when he crossed the finish line. Staph says they will review the facts, tapes and maps, and will make a decision in the next several days on the official winner.
2018 Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon winner's circle:
- Men's 2018 Marathon winner is Daniel Mesfun with an unconfirmed chip time of 2:16:32 (win under review)
- Women's 2018 Marathon winner is Sarah Horbol, from Westlake, with an unconfirmed chip time of 2:51:40
- Men's 2018 Half Marathon winner is Kenneth Sullivan with an unconfirmed chip time of 1:12:53.05
- Women's 2018 Half Marathon winner is Jennifer Bigham with an unconfirmed chip time of 1:21:23.31
- Men's 2018 10K winner is Linus Kiplagat with an unconfirmed chip time of 29:04.87
- Women's 2018 10K winner is Josphine Wanjiku with an unconfirmed chip time of 36:22.03
"The Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon is a premiere event, with a long legacy that continues to grow with each year," said Erik Schrader, WOIO/WUAB vice president and general manager. "We're honored to become broadcast and digital partners. There are many great stories to tell with this event and we plan on showcasing them for Northeast Ohio."
Cleveland 19 News will begin special coverage of Northeast Ohio's largest running event at 6:30 a.m. in advance of the race's 7 a.m. start from outside Quicken Loans Arena downtown.
At 8:30 am the broadcast switches to CLE 43 WUAB where it will run until 10:30 a.m.
Everything will also be broadcast on the Cleveland 19 News Facebook page live and on Amazon fire and Roku.
"The marathon is a great event to cover live," Cleveland 19 News Director Ian Rubin said. "We have a unique perspective to share as we have several Cleveland 19 News personalities that are participating. We'll cover this event starting the week leading up to the race like no other station has."
More than 50,000 runners and spectators are expected to participate in Race Weekend activities which kick off Friday, May 18 with the Health & Fitness Expo from noon to 7 p.m. at the Huntington Convention Center of Cleveland.
It's free and open to the public.
"We applaud WOIO's vision for broadcasting the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon because it not only highlights the commitment and inspirational stories behind many of the 15,000 runners but it showcases the energy and beauty of our great city," said Jack Staph, executive race director for the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon.
- This is bananas! The crazy numbers behind the Cleveland Marathon
- Father and son duo running Cleveland Marathon for a purpose
- 5 cards created by American Greetings just for Cleveland Marathon runners (video)
- Cleveland Marathon runner with autistic son always training for the road ahead
- Why do you run? Cleveland Marathoners share inspirational stories
- Cleveland Marathon training helps runner build physical and mental strength
- Mother's brave battle with cancer inspired Cleveland Marathon runner
- Check out the art, graffiti runners along the route will see
- Cleveland Marathon purposefully avoids churches when deciding route
On Saturday, May 19 the races begin with the 5k and 8k runs at 8 a.m., a one-mile run at 10 a.m., and a kids' run at 11 a.m. -- all starting and ending in Public Square. The Expo also runs from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday's marathon, half-marathon and 10k races begin at 7 a.m. at the northwest corner of Quicken Loads Arena on Ontario Street and finish at the intersection of Superior Avenue and West 3rd Street.
The 26.3 Mile Finish Line Rock Party starts at 8:30 a.m.
Registration for any of the race weekend events is available online at clevelandmarathon.com/registration.