CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - Registered dietitian Annessa Chumbley came in to chat with expecting mom Jamie Sullivan about key nutrients that will help your baby grow and that are good options for those expecting.
The three most important nutrients she detailed include:
- Iron: It’s easy to become iron deficient when pregnant because of the increased volume of blood. You need iron present for oxygen. Take iron with vitamin-C for easier absorption.
- Omega 3: Important for the third-trimester to help with development of the baby’s brain, heart and eyes. Seven grams of Omega-3 per serving of Heartland Chia, which is made in the United States, is low calorie but has a lot of nutrition.
- Folate: This B vitamin is important in first-trimester for development of the baby's nervous system. Folate-heavy foods include citrus, berries and bananas.
?Jamie's Baby Diary entries:
- Difficulty breastfeeding a newborn
- Planning a baby shower
- Preparing to bring a newborn baby home
- Gender reveal parties are the latest trend
- The ABCs of newborn sleep safety
- Introducing the family dog to a newborn baby
- Babies Need Boxes community baby shower provides free maternity items to expecting mothers
Watch Wake Up Cleveland every Monday morning for more parenting and childbirth information as part of Jamie Sullivan's Baby Diary.