CANTON, Ohio - American Electric Power says it continues to investigate how a Canton boy managed to crawl inside a substation, where he was severely burned.
Authorities say 10-year-old Larez Alexander got into the substation Tuesday by crawling through a hole in a chain-link fence. He was shocked and burned when he touched a 23,000 volt power line.
AEP spokeswoman Shelly DiMattio says the company had inspected the substation only hours before the accident and there was no hole in the fence at that time.
The boy remains in critical condition at Akron Children's Hospital.