Fire Department: Burning Leaves Ignited Blaze - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

Fire Department: Burning Leaves Ignited Blaze

BAY VILLAGE, Ohio (AP) - A fire that destroyed the home of a dentist on Nov. 9 has been ruled accidental, according to the Bay Village Fire Department.

Some leaves that Dr. Mouawia Ghiba had burned hours before ignited a fire in the garage and then spread to the home, according to Lt. Tom Boatwright of the fire prevention unit of Bay Village, a suburban community west of Cleveland.

The investigation included whether the fire may have been the result of a hate crime, because Ghiba is of Middle Eastern descent.

Ghiba's home, garage and a car were destroyed in the fire, which also caused damage to two neighboring homes. The fire caused $310,000 in damages.

Boatwright said burning leaves in Bay Village is against the law, but Ghiba will not be charged.

(Copyright 2001 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly