January 3, 2002 at 6:10 PM EST - Updated July 12 at 3:06 AM
CLEVELAND (AP) - A 6-month-old girl died of asphyxiation after getting tangled in a plastic garbage bag.
Authorities can't figure out how Jada Campbell got wrapped in the bag at her home.
"There's conflicting information as to what happened," said Jim McCafferty, director of the Cuyahoga County Department of Children and Family Services.
Jada's father, Clifton Ford, 23, was home with Jada and her 2-year-old sister Alexis on Tuesday night while their mother was at work.
Ford put Jada in her crib and left Alexis playing in the same room, police said.
He told police he went to check on the girls and found Jada unconscious and wrapped in a plastic garbage bag. He told investigators the girls' clothes were stored in plastic garbage bags in the same room.
Ford called 911 and told police that Jada was smothered by another child, according to a police report.
County social workers took custody of Alexis on Tuesday night.
(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)