Detroit Office Shooting, 2 Injured, 1 Dead

TROY, Mich. (AP) -  Police say they have found the suspect in the shooting of three people at an office building.

A man suspected of shooting three people at an accounting firm where he had worked was arrested a few hours later after a high-speed chase, authorities said. One victim died
shortly after the Monday morning attack.

Police said they had located Anthony LaCalamita, 38, of Troy on Interstate 75, north of the suburban Detroit office building where the shootings took place.

"It looks like we have found the vehicle and the suspect," said Troy police Lt. Gerry Scherlinck.
He said officers found a gun in the vehicle matching the description of the one used in the shootings. The driver did not have identification, did not cooperate and was taken back to Troy,
Scherlinck said.

Some witnesses told police that when the shooter walked into the office on the building's second floor around 10 a.m., he looked as if he was trying to hide something, Troy Police Chief Charles Craft said.

Police could yet not say how many shots were fired. "I'm not positive all three of the people were targeted, but there appeared to be some purpose," Craft said.

Two men were being treated at Beaumont Hospital, spokeswoman Ilene Wolfe said. She said the third victim died on the way there. LaCalamita was listed among the professional staff on the Website of Gordon Advisors, a public accounting and business consulting firm in the building.

Scherlinck said the shooter was a former employee of one of the offices there and might have been terminated as recently as a week ago. He was armed with a long gun, either a shotgun or a rifle, Scherlinck said.

The 170,000-square-foot building houses a number of businesses, including law offices and the accounting firm where the shooting was believed to have occurred. Police at first told workers to stay in their offices but a short time later evacuated the building, about 15 miles north of Detroit.

Bill Adgate, who works at LPL Financial inside the building, said he had hunkered down inside the office for a couple of hours with furniture pushed up against the door. He said police told the group to stay put until officers allowed them to leave.

"It's tough. I want to get out," Adgate said by telephone.