Composting usually takes about 3-9 months to mature or longer during the winter months. Composted material can be taken from the bottom of the compost bin, so the top of the pile will eventually be at the bottom creating a continuous downward flow.
- Buy a compost bin. A 200-300 liter bin with a lid.
- Build a compost bin out of wood. Cover with a plastic sheet to keep rain out and heat in.
- Place your bin in a sunny, well-drained area of bare soil or grass, out of the wind.
Things you can compost:
- Hair or fur.
- Paper, preferably shredded
- egg shells
- grass clipping, plants, twigs, and sticks
- Poultry and horse manure
- Vegetables and fruit
- Coffee and tea grains
Things not to compost: