Man Who Was Jailed In Double Murder Is Released

CANTON, Ohio (AP) - A man who was arrested and charged with killing two people said he knew he would be let out of jail once a grand jury reviewed the case against him.

While jailed, Darrell Mote said, he depended on support of family and friends and his daily Bible readings.

"I knew I was going to get out, I just didn't know when," Mote told The Repository on Wednesday in his mother-in-law's Canton apartment.

Mote, 44, of Cleveland, was released Friday from the Stark County Jail, where he had been held under a $1 million bond since his arrest Nov. 21.

There was not sufficient evidence to convince a grand jury to indict him on murder charges.

Police had accused Mote of shooting to death David E. Bouscher, 87, and Bouscher's son, Raymond, 57, on Nov. 11. Their bodies were discovered Nov. 16 in the Bouscher's home in Canton.

Mote was arrested after David Bouscher's 18-year-old grandson told police that he and Mote were inside the house.

"I never even been there," Mote said.

Mote said that at the time of the killings, he was working at a building, renovating it with two of his employees. Mote is a self-employed contractor.

Police Chief Thomas Wyatt said the investigation is continuing, and items police seized from Mote will remain in police control until the investigation is over.

(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)