Oberlin's Basketball Team Forced To Frofeit All Of Its Wins
February 20, 2002 at 10:09 PM EST - Updated June 29 at 10:41 PM
CLEVELAND (AP) - The North Coast Conference announced Wednesday that Oberlin College will forfeit all nine of its wins this year for using an ineligible player, including a victory over Ohio Wesleyan in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament.
Oberlin beat Ohio Wesleyan 56-49 Tuesday night to advance to the conference semifinals Friday night against top-seeded Wittenberg.
NCAC officials held a conference call Wednesday and determined that Ohio Wesleyan would replace the Yeomen in the tournament.
"It's a shock. We're disappointed," second-year Oberlin coach Mike Cavey said. "We played a real good game last night, too."
Cavey and athletic director Mike Muska declined to identify the player.
Muska said the player was a transfer from another school. Muska said the other school called the NCAC office Wednesday morning with questions about the player's eligibility.
"The former institution initially certified that he would be eligible at the next institution he would go to," Muska said. "They have subsequently said this morning that that was not the case.
"It would have been nice if that had been communicated three or four months ago."
The victory over Ohio Wesleyan had improved the Yeomen to 9-16 on the season.
(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)