Fire that Killed 13-Year-Old Ruled Accidental

Canton, OH  - A fire that took the life of a teenage boy has been ruled accidental - caused by a misplaced or discarded cigarette.

It happened July 14th at 1601 9th St. SW when a chair on the front porch of the home caught on fire.

The home occupants tried unsuccessfully to put out the flames with a fire extinguisher and call 9-1-1 but were unable because the phone lines had already burned off the house.

And while they were able to escape through the home's back door, 13-year-old Michael Crislip attempted to run through the front porch but was overcome by intense smoke and heat.

A vigil will be held in memory of Michael at Hope Academy on Friday, July 20th at 5PM.