Father Of Boy Who Brought Explosives To School Pleads Innocent - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

Father Of Boy Who Brought Explosives To School Pleads Innocent

WARREN, Ohio (AP) - The father of a teen-ager charged with bringing two sticks of dynamite and blasting caps to school has pleaded innocent to a felony count of possession of a dangerous ordnance.

Police filed a warrant for Timothy Cook, 36, of Champion, on Friday, court records show.

Cook was in Warren Municipal Court on Tuesday and posted a $75 bond. He has a preliminary hearing April 4.

Police have said that Cook used to work in coal mines and had explosives stored in his garage. He told authorities that he didn't know they were still there.

Cook's son, Timothy Ben Cook, 17, pleaded guilty last week to delinquency by way of assault on a school administrator and delinquency by way of unlawful possession of a dangerous ordnance.

Timothy Ben Cook will be sentenced in about a month and will remain in the county juvenile detention center until then.

He could receive up to a year in an Ohio Department of Youth Services facility, said his attorney, Maridee Costanzo. Costanzo declined to say why her client brought the explosives to school.

The teen-ager was stopped and searched Feb. 14 by Champion High School officials after the elder Cook called the school. No one was hurt.

The dynamite was removed from the 520-student school and was detonated safely near this northeast Ohio community about 50 miles southeast of Cleveland. Students were evacuated and sent home early.

(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly