Q. How many fruits and vegetables should my 3 and 8 year old children be eating each day?
A. The food guide pyramids are a good guide to what your children should be eating each day.
The Food Guide Pyramid for Young Children, which can be used for kids between 2 and 6 years, recommends that they get 3 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit each day.
Older children, over age 6 years, can use the regular Food Guide Pyramid (pictured below), which shows that they should have 3-5 servings of foods from the Vegetable Group, and 2-4 servings from the Fruit Group.
Servings from the Vegetable Group include:
- 1 cup of raw leafy vegetables
- 1/2 cup of other vegetables, cooked or chopped raw
- 3/4 cup of vegetable juice
Servings from the Fruit Group include:
- 1 medium apple, banana, orange
- 1/2 cup of chopped, cooked, or canned fruit
- 3/4 cup of fruit juice