Worker On Hydraulic Lift Burned By Electric Shock

AMHERST, Ohio (AP) - A Lorain man is in serious condition on Tuesday after he accidentally touched a power line while working on a building in Amherst.

Derek Carter, 20, was helping restore the building's brick surface on Monday when he was burned by the electric shock.

Carter was on a hydraulic lift or "cherry picker" when he touched the power line at approximately 10:30 a.m. with his head.

Police said that a co-worker eventually lowered the lift so emergency workers could get to Carter.

He was taken to a local hospital and then flown to the burn unit at the MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland.

Carter is employed by Amherst-based CAR Masonry.

(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)