Toddler Burned After Spilling Gasoline - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

Toddler Burned After Spilling Gasoline

CANTON, Ohio (AP) - A 2-year-old boy spilled gasoline he was carrying in a plastic container and was burned Sunday when a nearby pilot light ignited vapors, fire officials said.

J'Yon Johnson of Canton was in critical condition Monday night Children's Hospital Medical Center of Akron, a nursing supervisor said.

Officials don't know why the boy was carrying the container in the basement of his grandmother's home, said Gary Boone, battalion chief for the Canton Fire Department.

Boone said the boy tripped and spilled the gasoline near a gas-fired water heater.

His brother, Jerrell Johnson, 12, was treated for burns at Aultman Hospital and released.

(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly