Cleveland, OH - A 19 Action News Health Alert.
The Cleveland Department of Public Health is reporting two probable human cases of West Nile virus.
Both individuals are currently recovering and are residents of the St. Clair Superior and Forest Hills neighborhoods.
The city has also received reports of 12 positive mosquito pools during the 2008 mosquito season.
Four human cases of West Nile Virus were reported in Cleveland in 2007.
CDPH has engaged in significant prevention activity to "fight the bite" during the 2008 West Nile season. This has included:
- Larviciding of 27,000 catch basins, to inhibit mosquito development
- Mosquito surveillance through trapping and testing
- Standing water treatment and other source reduction
- Information to individuals and community groups through communications activities
- Tracking of dead bird reports
The Department of Public Health reminds residents that September is still a high-risk pjpdfoxosuretpWest Nile Virus from mosquito bites. Residents are reminded to take the following steps to avoid mosquito bites: