1 Dead, 4 Hospitalized From Carbon Monoxide - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

1 Dead, 4 Hospitalized From Carbon Monoxide

CLEVELAND (AP) - A man died and four people were taken to hospitals Tuesday with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Eugene King, 35; Barbara King Fowler, 62; and two teenagers inhaled fumes from a generator in the basement of their house on the city's east side, said Sgt. Jacqueline Lewis, a police spokeswoman.

An 18-year-old neighbor who inhaled the gas while trying to rescue the family also was hospitalized.

King Fowler was listed in fair condition Tuesday at the Cleveland Clinic. A clinic spokesman said a 16-year-old male was in good condition at the hospital, but did not release the youth's name.

The 18-year-old male neighbor and a 16-year-old female were treated at University Hospital, said spokeswoman Paula Morrison.

The family had moved the gasoline-powered generator from outside to the basement because neighbors complained about the noise. Without the generator, the family did not have electricity.

(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly