State report concludes 2-month-old girl died at Cleveland day care

Updated: Jun. 24, 2019 at 8:42 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - The investigation continues into the death of 11-week-old Di’Yanni Griffin.

According to a Ohio Department of Job and Family Services inspection report, the child died while at Nana’s Home Daycare on June 18.

ODJFS issued the following statement regarding the incident:

“When a child dies while in the care of a family child care provider, the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services can immediately suspend a provider’s license. Because of the tragic situation that occurred in Cleveland last week, ODJFS has suspended the license of Nana’s Home Daycare. The facility cannot continue to operate and care for children. Its license will remain suspended until the public children services agency completes its investigation or the provider’s license is revoked.”

Initial reports indicated the baby had died at University Hospitals after Griffin’s mother, Taylor Bush, noticed her daughter wasn’t moving and called 911.

The day care’s owner, Danielle Townsend, said she was not at the facility when the baby died.

Last Friday, 19 news spoke with both Townsend and Bush.

“I love kids. I would never harm anybody’s kids in no type of way and I mean it from the bottom of my heart,” Townsend said.

Townsend said her sister, a certified substitute, was taking care of Griffin while she was out. She says her sister called her to tell her Di’Yanni was breathing strangely and she needed Bush’s number.

Bush claims she never got a call. She also says what’s most devastating is what happened once she came to get her daughter to bring her home. Bush and her kids live above the day care.

“Her head just kept doing this, so I knew something was wrong,” said Bush. She says she ran back downstairs begging Townsend’s sister for help, then called 911.

EMT’s tried to revive Griffin, but told her they couldn’t find a pulse. Townsend insists the baby was breathing when her sister gave her back to Bush.

The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's office also released a statement saying, "The complete investigation of this case may take weeks before a final cause of death is available, but there is no indication of suspicious circumstances at this time."

Copyright 2019 WOIO. All rights reserved.