AKRON, Ohio (WOIO) -The 37th annual Bridgestone Senior Players Championship has officially come to Akron, where it will be played at the Firestone Country Club for the first time.
The tournament started in 1983 at the Canterbury Golf Club. The event, formerly one that rotated venues, will be hosted at Firestone through 2022.
Here’s what you can expect from the field of players:
Vijay Singh will return to defend his title, and he will be joined by eight other past champions of the event: Scott McCarron (2017), Bernhard Langer (2014, 2015, 2016), Kenny Perry (2013), Fred Couples (2011), Mark O’Meara (2010), Jay Haas (2009), and Loren Roberts (2007), Bobby Wadkins (2006).
- Five World Golf Hall of Fame members in the field
- Nine players who have won the Bridgestone SENIOR PLAYERS Championship
- Two players who have won a professional event at Firestone (Singh, World Golf Championships 2008; Frost, NEC World Series of Golf 1989)
- 59 PGA TOUR winners with 362 total career victories
- 57 PGA TOUR Champions winners with 285 total career victories
- 17 players with a PGA TOUR major victory; 23 with a PGA TOUR Champions major
- Six Charles Schwab Cup champions, spanning 13 years
“Professional golf tournaments at Firestone Country Club have established a reputation for showcasing elite competition alongside a premier fan experience and 2019 will be no exception,” said Bridgestone Senior Players Executive Director, Don Padgett III.
The Bridgestone Senior Players is one of five major championships contested annually on PGA Champions Tour for eligible professionals age 50 and over. It will be held July 8-14 at Firestone County Club’s South Course.
Professional golf events at Firestone Country Club have generated over $28 million for Northeast Ohio charities.
They continue this tradition of giving that will benefit key charities including Akron Children’s Hospital, Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank, Summa Health System, UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, Cleveland Clinic Akron General and The First Tee of Akron.