Warning issued after dirty exhaust fans likely led to 2 recent fires in Olmsted Township

Updated: Sep. 26, 2019 at 10:55 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

OLMSTED TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WOIO) - The Olmsted Township Fire Department has a public safety message: Clean your bathroom exhaust fans.

The department said firefighters responded to two incidents in recent months after a bathroom exhaust fan caught fire.

If exhaust fans are left running, they can overheat, the fire department warned.

We have had two (2) seperate incidents in recent months involving bathroom exhaust fans that have caught fire. We have...

Posted by Olmsted Township Fire Department on Thursday, September 26, 2019

In recent months, two fires in Olmsted Township have been caused by exhaust fans, according to the fire department. The fire department sent out the warning on social media, telling residents to make sure their exhaust fans are properly cleaned and turned off when they're not in use.

"Don't leave it on for a period of time," said Fire Chief Patrick Kelly. "When you're done with it turn it off, certainly before you go to bed. That would go for, like, your dryer, too. Any kind of appliance, you don't want to leave it unattended."

Kelly says that no one was hurt in the fires, thanks partly because the homes were equipped with smoke alarms. One woman awoke in the middle of the night when her smoke alarm began beeping, allowing her to escape and call for help.

"This probably saved her life, this smoke alarm," said Kelly.

The smoke alarm was installed by Olmsted Township fire officials and provided by the Red Cross. Anyone who lives in Olmsted Township is eligible for this free installation. Call the fire department at (440) 235-3746 to find out more.

The fire department also urged property owners and families to make sure that their smoke alarms are operational and that they have an escape plan to evacuate in the event of a fire.

Copyright 2019 WOIO. All rights reserved.