Firefighters remind Ohio homeowners to clear snowfall from gas meters, furnace vents

Firefighters remind Ohio homeowners to clear snowfall from gas meters, furnace vents
(AP Photo/Michael Dwyer) (Source: Michael Dwyer)

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - Winter accumulation, combined with snow that is pushed from plows or that falls off a roof, can begin to build up on the side of a home.

Because of that potential build-up, firefighters in Macedonia have issued a safety reminder to homeowners in the winter.

According to the Macedonia firefighters union, snow and ice can block the gas meter and furnace vent, which could potentially cause home heating appliances to stop working.

More importantly, a blockage could lead to a carbon monoxide leak inside the home.

Some helpful advice that could prevent a disaster.

Posted by Macedonia Professional Firefighters Local 3947 on Saturday, January 19, 2019

Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to flu symptoms, which include headaches, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting. It can even lead to death.

Copyright 2020 WOIO. All rights reserved.