CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - Cleveland firefighters converged at Reserve Square in downtown Cleveland, after a fire was sparked inside the high-rise apartment building around 9 p.m. Thursday night.
Smoke was visible in multiple hallways, and first responders swept the building to ensure the fire didn’t spread.
The fire originated in a garbage chute, no injuries have been reported and scores of residents evacuated.
CFD Chief Angelo Calvillo reported from the scene that the fire has been stamped out.
The 980-unit apartment building is located on East 12 Street, between Superior and Chester avenues.
East 12th is shut down as crews continue to work the scene.
The 19 News studio is attached to Reserve Square, and our evening broadcasts will not be interrupted.
Return to 19 News for updates.