UH expert explains latest CDC numbers which she says changes nothing about COVID-19

CDC stats show 94% of COVID-19 deaths had at least one other health issue.

UH expert explains latest CDC numbers which she says changes nothing about COVID-19
The CDC weekly report on COVID-19 deaths said only 6% of victims, died of only the coronavirus. The other 94% had some other underlying health issue.

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) -The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released its weekly COVID-19 mortality numbers along with a statement showing the vast majority of Americans who died from the disease, had other medical problems.

According to the report, only 6% of U.S. deaths have been from COVID-19 alone.

The other 94% had at least one other health issue to go along with the coronavirus that lead to their death.

“For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death,” the report said.

The internet and social media have run wild with speculation that this new data somehow changes how deadly COVID-19 has been, University Hospitals infectious disease expert Dr. Amy Edwards said that’s not the case.

“Reports like this help us get more understanding of what increases your risk for having a bad outcome from COVID but it doesn’t change the fact that COVID is more lethal than other viruses,” Dr. Edwards said. “And that more people are dying right now than should be dying.”

The finding were published under the topic of comorbidities, or co-factors of illness.

The fact that only a small percentage of people died of COVID-19 alone, should not come as a shock according to Dr. Edwards, because we’ve known all along that people with underlying health issues have not fared well.

And it’s those list of illnesses, along with COVID-19, that make it on victims death certificates.

“Sometimes you can have multiple, four, five, six contributing factors but there is still that primary cause of death,” Edwards said. “And in 95% of COVID related deaths COVID was the primary cause of death but there were contributory factors. In 5% of the cases it was felt that it was something else was the cuase of death, and COVID was a contributing factor. So still playing a roll but not the primary cause of death.”

Copyright 2020 WOIO. All rights reserved.