Surveillance video shows altercation moments before 24-year-old was shot near pizza shop

Updated: Oct. 28, 2020 at 7:59 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - Exclusive video obtained by 19 News shows the altercation leading up to Angelo Catala’s death. He was shot and killed one week ago in the parking lot outside Nunzio’s Pizza shop on Lorain Ave.

His girlfriend, Cara Shreve said, “the last message I got from him was 'I’ll be home in a little bit, babe. Just wait on me.”

She said she “talked to him at 1:56 am. That’s the last message I got from him, and after that, I found out the next morning he was gone.”

Less than an hour after Shreve said she spoke to her boyfriend, the 24-year-old was shot and killed.

“I finally find the love of my life, and he’s taken from me,” she said.

Catala was a father of four. His accused killer, Harold Williams, spoke to 19 News Tuesday, minutes before turning himself in to police.

Williams claimed he acted in self-defense, “I had to throw my life away to save my life.”

EXTENDED INTERVIEW -- Harold Williams called us before turning himself over to police. He's accused of killing another man this weekend during a dispute at the Nunzio's parking lot. Here's the extended interview of what he says happened that night.

Posted by Kendall Forward on Tuesday, October 27, 2020

But, Shreve said that’s not true and Catala wouldn’t hurt anyone.

“He wouldn’t have did that. The way it sounds is [Williams] lied through his teeth.” She said Catala “was a sweet man, and he would’ve given the shirt off his back. That man, what he’s saying is false. Angelo wouldn’t hurt anybody.”

Shreve and Catala’s family are still left with many questions about what exactly happened that night.

What is clear is there was a car accident, and then a fight broke out between the two men in the parking lot, just before 2:30 am.

The surveillance video from a nearby business shows a man running away from the pizza shop. Then the same man comes back, and he appears to point a gun and run toward the pizza shop, gun drawn.

Shreve said Catala’s cousin was with him that night. “His cousin said they had got in an altercation and they were talking outside. When [the cousin] went in the pizza store, he heard the gunshots.”

Police said Catala ran inside the restaurant where he collapsed. Many details are still under investigation on what happened that deadly night but Shreve said she’s relieved Williams is now in jail. “I was so happy I cried tears of joy that he’s behind bars, and he finally decided to turn himself in,” she said.

Copyright 2020 WOIO. All rights reserved.