6-year-old boy shot and killed in Brooklyn hotel

Brooklyn Police confirmed a 6-year-old boy was shot dead in the Fairfield Inn and Suites on Saturday morning.
Updated: Apr. 24, 2021 at 1:03 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

BROOKLYN, Ohio (WOIO) - Brooklyn Police confirmed a 6-year-old boy was shot dead in the Fairfield Inn and Suites on Saturday morning.

Shortly after 7 a.m., officers were sent to the hotel at 5110 Tiedeman Road on reports of gunshots, according to police.

A 30-year-old woman called police from the hotel’s front desk, according to police. She said someone had shot her and her son in room 301 and left about 30 minutes before she called.

19 News obtained a copy of the 911 call and it says in part:

Dispatcher: Police and Fire Dispatch.

Mother of child shot: Yes, I need the Police. Somebody shot my son.

Dispatcher: Ok. I he alive?

Mother of child shot: I don’t know if he’s alive - my hand is shot.

Dispatcher: How old is your son?

Mother of child shot: He’s only six.

Police said officers found the child with gunshot wounds in the room and started performing CPR until the Brooklyn Fire Department arrived to take both him and the mother to MetroHealth. According to the child’s mother and the 911 tape the young boy was shot in the head and stomach.

The boy was pronounced dead at the scene, according to police.

The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner identified him as Kaamir Bringht of Parma.

Police identified his mother as Danechia Bringht, and confirmed she was treated and released from the ER.

An arrest has been made in connection to the homicide, police said. But on the 911 tape Bringht couldn’t explain what happened.

Dispatcher: Ok. Who shot him?

Mother of child shot: I don’t know. I was asleep, and I just woke up and he was shot. I tried to take the gun from him, and he shot me in my hand.

Dispatcher: You don’t know anything? They broke into your room?

Mother of child shot: I’m not sure I was with a friend last night, but he was with his friends. We went swimming, and I thought they had left.

However, no formal charges have been made yet, police said.

Police confirmed there is no threat to the public.

The homicide investigation continues with the Crime Scene Unit of the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation assisting on scene.

Copyright 2021 WOIO. All rights reserved.