12-hour long standoff at Parma residence ends with suspect dead

Published: Jun. 13, 2021 at 5:34 PM EDT|Updated: Jun. 14, 2021 at 6:20 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PARMA, Ohio (WOIO) - A standoff that started Sunday afternoon in Parma ended with gunfire and the suspect dead a little more than 12 hours later.

According to Parma Police, the incident started at 2:05 p.m. Sunday when an officer tried to pull over a Dodge pickup truck that was just involved in a shooting with an off-duty police officer in uniform.

That shooting took place in the parking lot of the BP/7-11 located at State Road and Brookpark Road, police said.

Neighbor Edward Vullo saw and heard what happened.

“This happened because of his individual problems,” he said.

The driver of the Dodge, identified by Parma Police as 64-year-old Kevin Richard Giesel, did not stop for the officer and instead sped away to his home in the 5700 block of South Park Boulevard.

A witness, who asked not to be named, told a 19 News crew she witnessed the chase.

A short time later she heard police yell for someone to “put your hands in the air.”

Officers later were heard over a loudspeaker telling someone to “Come out with your hands up. We have the place surrounded,” she said.

Parma Police and its SWAT team, along with a tactical SWAT team made up of officers from 12 other agencies, surrounded the home for 12 hours.

Negotiators spoke on and off with Giesel for the first six hours of the standoff. A press release from Parma Police said they believed Giesel was under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

At some point Sunday, a female relative of the man at the center of the standoff was brought to the scene by a police cruiser and immediately went over to talk to the police at the scene. She immediately got on her cell phone to talk to the man inside the home in an effort to get him to turn himself in.

The suspect did come to his front door, and even stood on his porch for a short time shortly after 6:00 PM, but appeared agitated and talked to police. He eventually went back into the home.

At one point a negotiator on a bullhorn told the man to answer his phone. When he didn’t answer the telephone, the negotiator got on the bullhorn again telling the suspect there was a warrant for his arrest and asked him to walk out of his front door and hold his hands in the air.

Giesel refused to speak with negotiators for the final six hours of the standoff, Parma Police said.

SWAT officers took several windows out of his home and fired what was believed to be teargas into the home at least half a dozen times, with no response.

Around 2:30 a.m. Monday, Giesel shot a gun at officers outside his home. Multiple officers shot back, and Giesel was found dead inside his home shortly after, according to Parma Police.

Since tactical officers do not wear body cameras, Parma Police said no footage of the incident is available at this time.

The Ohio Attorney General’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation is investigating this incident.

Copyright 2021 WOIO. All rights reserved.