Akron police fatally shoot suspect after gunfire rings out from vehicle during chase

Published: Jun. 27, 2022 at 5:58 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

AKRON, Ohio (WOIO) - A deadly police shooting took place early Monday morning in Akron after gunfire erupted from a suspect vehicle during a pursuit.

Akron Police Capt. David Laughlin said the pursuit broke out around 12:30 a.m. when a man fled a traffic stop on E. Tallmadge and Thayer avenues.

Laughlin said gunfire rang out from the vehicle during the chase, as the suspect drove southbound on route 8.

Akron officers tracked him to the area of Clairmont Street and W. Wilbeth Avenue in the Firestone Park neighborhood and the suspect jumped out of his vehicle even as it was still moving.

The officers then began a foot pursuit of the suspect into a parking lot, according to police.

“Actions by the suspect caused the officers to perceive he posed a deadly threat to them,” Laughlin said in the release. “In response to this threat, officers discharged their firearms, striking the suspect.”

According to the Summit County Medical Examiner, the man was pronounced dead of 1:03 a.m. at the crime scene.

His identity has not been released to 19 News.

Officers involved in the shooting are on paid administrative leave, which is department policy, Laughlin said.

A witness who lives in the Firestone Park area of Akron heard the commotion outside of his home and just as he was looking for a way to see outside, he heard the gunfire.

“Bam, bam bam, bam, clips empty, end of story, it started and ended in seconds,” the witness, who did not want to be identified, said, “The all hell broke loose, as you can, imagine there were police cars everywhere.”

The shooting is under investigation by the Akron Police Major Crimes Unit and the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigations.

“After discharging their firearms officers immediately called for EMS and began rendering first aid to the suspect and tried to take life-saving measures,” Laughlin said.

Laughlin said the Office of Professional Standards and Accountability will launch a separate investigation.

The area of S. Main Street and W. Wilbeth Avenue was blocked to traffic for several hours.

Copyright 2022 WOIO. All rights reserved.