Bond hearing for daughter accused of stabbing parents at their North Ridgeville home

Published: Dec. 12, 2022 at 10:16 AM EST|Updated: Dec. 12, 2022 at 1:37 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

NORTH RIDGEVILLE, Ohio (WOIO) - The 34-year-old Lakewood woman accused of stabbing her mom and dad at their North Ridgeville home last week remains in jail after a judge set her bond at $240,000 in Elyria Municipal Court Monday.

Emily Deese is charged with felonious assault and attempted murder.

The case has been bound over to the Lorain County Court of Common Pleas; a grand jury will eventually decide whether or not to move forward with an indictment.

Emily Deese
Emily Deese((Source: North Ridgeville police))

North Ridgeville police said officers were called to the home in the 6600 block of Amber Way around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 6.

When they arrived, they found Deese’s 67-year-old mom and 69-year-old dad suffering from serious injuries.

“There was blood splattered within the roadway, in the driveway and on the door. You could see hand prints. There was more splatter throughout the house, [an] enormous pool of blood on the ground, just splatter everywhere. More than I’ve ever seen,” said North Ridgeville police officer Clint Chasko.

Chasko was one of three officers to testify at Monday’s hearing.

Police said EMS transported the mom and dad to UH St. John Medical Center in Westlake.

On Monday, officers confirmed both of the victims were discharged.

19 News spoke to the husband outside the couple’s home on Monday night; but he declined to issue a statement because the legal proceedings are ongoing.

He told our crew that he and his wife are recovering physically.

Emily Deese was taken into custody on Wildlife Trail, just east of Amber Way.

She was treated for injuries suffered in the attack and then transported to the Lorain County Jail.

In court, she declined to answer the judge’s questions about her understanding of the charges.

The public defender who was appointed to Deese told the judge on Monday that when he met with Deese at the jail last Friday, she told him she wanted to represent herself in court.

Another North Ridgeville police officer, who testified that he rode in the ambulance with Deese, told the court that she made statements about what happened on the ride to the hospital. He said he was informing the medics that a family member told officers Deese has a history with mental health problems.

The officer said as he was explaining her history, Deese interrupted.

“She stated ‘this all happened because they tried to get me to take my medication that is slowly killing me,’” said officer Brandon Kjaer, recalling the words of Deese.

Kjaer said she also made reference to God.

As Kjaer explained on the witness stand, Deese broke her courtroom silence.

“I said it’s because I bear witness that there’s only one God and I bear witness that Muhammad is his prophet,” she said, referring to her comments in the ambulance.

Because grand jury proceedings are held secretly, there’s no public timetable for when the case will continue. In the meantime, the judge ordered the public defender will continue to represent Deese, pending further order from the court.