CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - New median island construction and new asphalt paving between Superior Avenue and Chester Avenue is now underway as part of Phase IV of the Avenue District Project.
Northbound traffic between Superior Avenue and Chester Avenue will be reduced to one lane for the first stage of the project and southbound traffic will remain open to two lanes. Pedestrian traffic will remain open on both sides of E. 12th Street.
This traffic closure will remain in place until June 2010. Detour signs will be posted for the duration of the closure. Expect additional notices as work progresses that will impact traffic flow.. In the event of unfavorable weather conditions work may be delayed beyond this date.
• The Avenue District Project is a four phase project to promote redevelopment of the E, 12th and E. 13th Street corridors into a mixed use development. Phase I involved new streets between Rockwell Avenue and Superior Avenue adjacent to E. 13th Street. Phase II involved the reconstruction of E. 12th Street between Lakeside Avenue and St Clair Avenue. Phase III involved the reconstruction of S. 12th Street between St. Clair Avenue and Superior Avenue and is scheduled for completion this spring.
Construction also kicked off on Tuesday for the streetscape enhancement of E.14th Street between Prospect Avenue and Euclid Avenue- The Contractor will be working on the west side of E. 14th Street. All essential parking, building and service entrances will be maintained. Traffic will be affected as follows:
• Two-way single lane traffic will be maintained along. E. 14th Street from Euclid Avenue to Prospect Avenue during this phase of construction.
• Two-Lane Southbound Traffic from Euclid will merge into one lane at E. 14th Street.
• Northbound Traffic entering Euclid Avenue from E. 14th Street will widen out to two lanes at Euclid Avenue.
• Eastbound and Westbound traffic will be narrowed from two lanes to one lane each immediately west of the E. 14th Street ramp; Prospect Avenue Intersection.
• Westbound two-lane traffic approaching the E. 14th Street ramp; Prospect Avenue intersection will merge into one lane.
• Eastbound two-lane traffic leaving this intersection remains unchanged. Pedestrian traffic will remain uninterrupted on east side of E. 14th Street.
This traffic closure will remain in place until October 2010. Detour signs will be posted.- Expect additional notices as work progresses that will impact traffic flow. In the event of unfavorable weather conditions work may be delayed beyond this date.
The E 141h Street Improvement from Prospect Avenue to Euclid Avenue is an ARRA (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) Streetscape Enhancement Project that promotes employment and complements the Playhouse Square Foundation in its many architectural endeavors within the Playhouse Square Entertainment District.
E. 14th Street is a gateway to the theatre district and also provides access to the recently completed Euclid Corridor Mass Transit Enhancement Project.
This Project will construct new mosaic LED-lit colored brick sidewalks, new granite curbs, and convenient pull-off parking for pick-ups and drop-offs of theatre goers. This project will also provide on-street parking, a smoother ride, energy saving safety oriented ornamental street lighting, and a pleasant shady treescape. At the completion of this project there will be areas offering an opportunity for sidewalk cafes & park benches, gentler sidewalk slopes, handicap ramps and signing for the mobility of sight impaired patrons.