LAGRANGE, OH (WOIO) - Logan Stiner's parents are starting a national crusade asking for an Internet ban on caffeine powder, after the shocking death of their 18-year-old son in May.
They both sat down with 19 Action News Investigative Reporter Scott Taylor for their first in-depth interview since Logan died.
"He had no idea what he was doing...none," said Kate Stiner, Logan's mother.
Logan overdosed on caffeine powder at home in LaGrange during the last week of his senior year at Keystone High School. It was the first time Logan had tried caffeine powder. Kate found just one bag of it in the house.
Logan was a star wrestler, prom king and a straight-A student who earned a scholarship to the University of Toledo.
"He was a sweet, sweet person," said Kate.
If you do a Google search for caffeine powder, you'll find you can purchase it for under $5.
"As long as I live, I will hunt that stuff down," said Kate.
The coroner's report says they found more than 70 micrograms of caffeine in Logan's blood. That's equal to drinking 23 cups of coffee.
Now, the FDA is warning parents about the dangers of caffeine powder, but Logan's parents want it gone from the Internet and are reaching out to lawmakers to make it happen.
"We were not aware of it all. Nobody is aware of it," said Dennis Stiner, Logan's father.
Dennis and Kate believe their son would be proud and excited for their efforts.