Teen electrocuted performing YouTube experiment ID'd
VERMILION TOWNSHIP, OH (WOIO) - A 15-year-old Vermilion Township boy is dead after performing an experiment he saw on YouTube, police said.
The Jacob's Ladder experiment is done by connecting a 12,000 volt power source to two cooper wires to create an electrical arc. As a result of replicating the popular video, Morgan Wojciechowski was electrocuted.
"Futuristic, always experimenting trying to get into the stream of life," said Morgan's grandfather as he described his grandson.
First responders were called to the 5800 block of W. Lake Road in Vermilion Township at about 6 p.m. Tuesday for a medical emergency.
Morgan's mother said she came outside because she smelled something. After finding her her son on the ground in the garage, she called 911.
Paramedics and firefighters administered treatment when they arrived at the scene.
Woceichowski was transported to Lorain Mercy Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
"Youtube was the culprit. It needs to be stopped. We need to monitor what's being put out to our kids," added the grandfather. "There's no going back. This can enlighten other parents too."
Woceichowski attended Vermilion High School. The district's superintendent released a statement.
"On behalf of Vermilion Schools we would like the greater community to know that we are brokenhearted to learn about the tragic loss to our school community. Morgan was a vibrant student and athlete who was well liked at Vermilion High School. Our thoughts and prayers are with Morgan's family, and we continue to be available for anything they need. We ask those outside the school community to please respect the privacy of the family, our staff and students as we cope with this tragic loss," Philip Pempin, Vermilion Schools superintendent said.
Download the Cleveland 19 News app.
Copyright 2016 WOIO. All rights reserved.