Things to do in northeast Ohio on Memorial Day
CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - Memorial Day is observed on the last Monday of May each year, and is a day to honor those who died while serving in the US military.
The day usually marks the "unofficial" start of the summer season, with pools opening, cookouts, parades, and warmer weather. There is no shortage of events and activities.
Memorial Day events include:
- Bay Village - Parade, 21-gun-salute, and patriotic music, starts at 8:45 a.m, starting at Huntington Park.
- Bedford - Parade starts at 10:15 a.m. near City Hall.
- Berea - Parade starts at 10:30 a.m. near City Hall.
- Broadview Heights - Parade and ceremony at 9 a.m. at the Crossings Shopping Center.
- Euclid - Memorial Day services start at Euclid and St. Paul's cemeteries. Parade starts at 7:45 a.m. on East 228th Street.
- Fairview Park - Parade starts at 9 a.m. from the Corrigan Cracium Funeral Home.
- Independence - Parade and cookout starts at 9 a.m.
- Parma - Memorial event starts at 9:30 a.m. at City Hall.
- Richmond Heights - Veteran's ceremony starts at 10 a.m. at Community Park Veterans Memorial.
- Shaker Heights - Parade starts at 9 a.m. at City Hall.
- Strongsville - Memorial Day service starts at 11 a.m. at St. Joseph Church.
- University Heights - 50th annual parade starts at 11 a.m. on Silsby Road.
- Westlake - Parade starts at 10 a.m. at Sts. Peter & George Coptic Orthodox Church.
- Mentor - Parade starts at 9:30 a.m. on Hopkins Road.
- Painesville - Parade starts at 10 a.m. on Riverside Cemetery.
- Wickliffe - Parade starts at 10:30 a.m. at Our Lady Carmel Church.
- Willoughby - Parade starts at 9:30 a.m. on Park Avenue.
- Avon Lake - Parade starts at 10 a.m. at Veterans Memorial Park.
- North Ridgeville - Parade starts at 9:45 a.m. on Center Ridge Road.
- Brunswick - Parade and services start at 10 a.m. on Pearl Road.
- Westfield - Parade and veteran's tribute starts at 11 a.m. at North Leroy Park.
- Aurora - Parade and ceremony starts at 9:30 a.m. at Veterans Memorial Park.
- Hudson - Parade starts at 10 a.m. on Milford Road.
- Tallmadge - Parade and service start at 9:30 a.m. at Our Lady of Victory Church.
In addition to parades and memorials, there are other events happening in and around Cleveland this weekend.
The 47th annual Tremont Greek Festival is taking place at the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church at 2187 W. 14th St. in Cleveland's Tremont neighborhood. The weekend long event features Greek food and dessert, beer and wine, Greek dancing, and shopping.
Also in Cleveland, is the annual "Taste of Summer" hosted by Cleveland Scene magazine. It's happening all weekend at the Flats East Bank and features local food and craft beer. There will also be live entertainment and fun activities for the kids.
The Berea Rib Cook-Off is another foodie event, so don't eat too much at the Greek Festival and the Taste of Summer. The event is at the Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds and admission is $5. Active and retired military will be free on Memorial Day. Get a taste of the best ribs in town and be the judge.
Download the Cleveland 19 News app and First Alert Weather app.
Copyright 2017 WOIO. All rights reserved.