Woman injured in fatal illegal after hours club shooting in Cleveland: ‘Get this monster off the street’

Woman injured in fatal illegal after hours club shooting: ‘Get this monster off the street' Pt 1

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - The woman who was hit by gunfire during a fatal shooting at an illegal after hours club said after almost three months with no arrest, she doesn’t want the events of Oct. 25 to just become another homicide investigation in Cleveland.

The gunman or woman who shot into the building on Woodhill Road on Oct. 25 killed 27-year-old Shameia Hurthis and injured two others.

The killer is on the loose and Cleveland Police has not named any suspects.

Darnella Wilson reached out to 19 News after watching a report on the illegal club that was operating illegally on state-owned property.

She’s fighting for two things now -- justice and accountability.

“I just remember falling to the floor. That’s when I realized I had got shot,” Wilson said.

Wilson said the night of Oct. 25 was the first time she’d been inside at 2904 Woodhill Road in Cleveland.

“I was like I am at any party, I was dancing and having a good time,” she said.

Her mom got the call from police around 3:10 a.m.

“My heart just went down into my shoes,” she said.

Fortunately, Wilson was only shot in the leg, fracturing her tibia.

But others weren’t as lucky.

Woman injured in fatal illegal after hours club shooting: ‘Get this monster off the street' pt 2

According to the police report from that night, another man was injured in the shooting and Hurth died.

Wilson didn’t know Hurth, but feels for her mother and her the three girls she left behind.

“I just feel justice needs to be served. By all means, somebody needs to do something to get this monster off the street,” Wilson said.

The last time 19 News talked to Cleveland Police, it said the homicide is still under investigation. Police have not shared information about any suspects.

After nearly three months of doctors appointments and a heavy heart, Wilson said she just doesn’t feel like the case is being taken seriously.

“It’s another one of these little homicide cases. To us it’s a big deal,” she said.

It’s also a big deal, she said, that no one has been held accountable for what’s going on inside the Woodhill Road property.

When she was there in October, she said she didn’t know the building is owned by the state.

“I didn’t find out none of this until after the fact,” she said.

Property tax records show the property was forfeited to the state in 2018 after it failed to sell in two sheriff’s auctions.

The state said it is the county’s responsibility to maintain state-owned land.

Cuyahoga County said it was up to the city of Cleveland.

“Something needs to be done,” Wilson’s mother said. “It needs to be closed down. There’s no sense of it operating if it’s not supposed to be operating.”

Records show police have known about the illegal partying happening at the property for years, often referring to it in conversation and police reports as the “known after hours location.”

So, why aren’t the building’s doors locked?

How are people getting away with gathering there?

A spokesperson with Cleveland Police said last month officers were giving the Woodhill Road area special attention after the shooting.

19 News investigators did find evidence of that recently.

According to an incident report, police checked on the building Dec. 27 and found “no activity” there around 2 a.m., stating it was “dark and quiet.”

However, it’s not clear whether that is always the case every night.

There’s no evidence that the city has secured the property, so that people can’t get back in.

New records show city building inspectors found the structure “not open to casual entry” just before Christmas. Sources told 19 Investigates all that means is that there aren’t any windows broken or doors knocked in.

Inspectors aren’t legally allowed to check whether doors are locked-- it would be up to the police to get a search warrant for that.

That’s a move this family wants law enforcement to make, instead of just swinging by every so often.

“They are failing to do their job, and god forbid something else happens,” Woodland said.

Wilson also gave 19 Investigates exclusive details about how she got inside the after hours club and what it looked like inside.

“They had a side door, I went through there. But, you had to pay to get in,” she said.

The cover was $20, according to Wilson.

“[It was] packed with a lot of people. Packed. Really packed,” she said, adding the bouncer had to be taking in what would amount to a ton of cash that night. No word on where it was all going.

Besides securing the building, it seems police could also cite whoever was running the after hours location, or at least charge them for some sort of trespassing.

We reached out to police several times since our original story to see if there were any plans to do that, but haven’t heard back.

Copyright 2021 WOIO. All rights reserved.